Michigan Central Railroad
the Grand River
was projected and the preliminary survey made. In January, 1869, the first train passed over the recently-completed railroad
and then began an almost unprecedented era of progress.
The first depot was in the building on the south
side of the tracks with a ticket office in one end and the freight and express offices occupying the remainder of the buildings.
In 1904 a brick depot was built on the north side of the tracks. This building is now owned by the V. F. W.
At one time the local office employed two telegraph operators, a ticket agent, baggage men and freight agent but
as other means of transportation developed, these duties were all given to one man and later the depot was closed. Railroad
excursions would attract several hundred local people. The 20 foot square baggage room often used to be piled to the ceiling
and the 20 by 40 foot waiting room was often jammed with people.
As the years passed, passenger service decreased; and finally
the Bee Liner was the only passenger service but eventually even this service stopped altogether. As of 1969 Several freight
trains still ran through town every day. (Years later, this train route was put out of service - the track was eventually
taken out and is now used as a walking trail)