The Lentz Table Co.
One of Nashville's foremost industries was founded in February, 1867 by Jacob Lentz, who learned cabinet making
in his native Lyons,
He built a small house and workshop on the west side of Main
Street and started to make picture frames and manufacture furniture.
As his sons became old enough, he took them into the business. His sons Albert, Charles and Lewis came into partnership. The
business flourished and by 1869, his business had grown to such proportions, they build a factory and employed 18 men.
In 1891 the factory was destroyed by fire. The Lentz family decided to form a stock company, purchased land on the
Phillips property east of town, and built a new factory. (where the Maple valley Arms and Maple Valley Implement are now located on the corner of Lentz
Street and Sherman
Street) They soon were employing over one hundred men.
The Lentz Table Factory made very fine furniture, including tables of all kinds, stands, chairs, cupboards and commodes.
They made reproductions of pieces in Kensington Museum and copies of 18th Century Antiques.
After Albert's death in 1928, the factory continued
operations with L. E. Lentz as Secretary-Treasurer, Frank, Son of Albert, as Vice-President. It continued to be operated until their retirement
The factory stood idle for many years until it was sold to Plycoma