During the year 1866 it became apparent that there were a number of children
in Nashville for
whom educational advantages should be provided. A notice was circulated that at a time specified a "bee" would be
held for the purpose of erecting a schoolhouse. The call met a prompt response, and on the day appointed, before darkness
approached, the school house was in actual existence. It could hardly be commended for beauty of design but it served well
the purpose for which it was erected. At first it was without a door or window panes but when a wandering cow took to spending
its nights there it became necessary to build a door. The forest was so thick at the time that you couldn't see Main street from the School. After a more spacious
structure had superseded it, the former building did service as a barn on one of the neighboring streets. The first school
housed thirteen children, who were under the care of Miss Aggie Smith (later Mrs. C. M. Putnam). The schoolhouse also did
duty as a church and Sunday School room. Some idea of the rapid growth of the town can be obtained by the fact that by the
next summer the pupils numbered 35 and increased to 56 the following winter. The next year the west side of Mr. Seaman's
house was used for school and church purposes. This building was on the corner of Main and Reed Streets and was also used for lectures, singing
In the summer of 1867 the ground where the Kellogg Elementary
School is now (currently the Alternative Ed Building) was cleared of
beautiful forest trees and a two-room building erected which was then thought to be sufficient for all time - only one room
was used or needed the first year. Then for seven years two teachers were employed. Then because of crowded conditions, a
small building for the primary department was erected on the corner of the same lot. This soon proved inadequate and rooms
were rented on Main Street and in a private house to accommodate the ever-increasing number of pupils.
During 1885, the larger building was torn down
by Charles Smith. He used the lumber to build the Smith and Brooks Creamery. The primary school building was moved to
the location of the Maple Valley
News Office. Orno Strong was the editor at that time.
A fine modern brick school building was built in
1884-85 well equipped and eleven teachers were employed.
The first graduating class of Nashville graduated with three girls and one boy.
Previous to that time the "upper room" provided a very sketchy course and it was largely through the efforts of
Professor J. W. Robert that a three year high school curriculum was inaugurated. The graduates of 1887 were Alice Smith, who
later married Curtis W. Pennock and was the mother of Ralph and Arthur Pennock; Alice M Downs, who later became a teacher
in Chicago City Schools; Emma Barber and Clarence H. Barber, who was later a successful physician in Hastings. In 1888 the
graduates were Clyde
W. Francis, Myron Stanton, Lena M. Parish and Mabel L. Sellick. In 1889 the graduates were A. J. Reynolds, G. W. Gribbin, Adrian Carter, Lida Feighner,
Minnie Durham, Jennie Mills and Winnie Downs. In 1890 there was no graduates because the high school course had been changed
from three to four years.
In 1891 the first class to graduate from the Nashville's four year high
school was Will W. Potter who later became a lawyer and then a Supreme Court Judge, S. Wilburt SMith, Bertha Marshall, Lois
Marshall, Alice McKinnis, and Greta B. Young. In 1892 the graduates were Elmer A. Griggs, Ella C. Mills, Elsie C. Mayo, Anna
L. Downing and Mabel Wilcox.
In 1902 the school burned. This time the pupils were housed in
the village churches. In 1902 they started to build a new brick school house. This was the brick part of the school house
that was torn down in 1966.
Through the help of W. K. Kellogg Foundation, an addition was
built to the building in 1936 and the name of the school was changed to Nashville W. K. Kellogg Rural Agricultural School. Then in 1950, on a new site on Fuller street, the beginning of an elementary building was started. Additions were made in 1952, 1956, and 1964.
Today (1969) the Fuller
Street Elementary School contains 14 classrooms, kitchen,
multi-purpose area, library and office. (additional rooms have been added since this writing).
of the former Nashville
and Vermontville school districts approved consolidation into the Maple Valley Schools, January 21, 1963. A bond issue approved May 13, 1963, provided funds for construction
of a modern Junior-Senior High School
and additions to elementary schools - Fuller Street in Nashville and Maple wood in Vermontville. A fully accredited educational program and fine school facilities are offered to
residents in the area. The district covers 140 square miles. This year (1969) there are 1,853 students enrolled with 78 teachers
and librarians. There are 18 buses and 2 bus mechanics. We have the services of a speech teacher, visiting nurse and two visiting
The part of the old Nashville W. K. Kellogg High School built in 1902 in agreement with the state Fire Marshall's
requirements was torn down in 1966, leaving the section built in 1936. The south end was bricked and a few changes were made
in the building. It is now called Kellogg Elementary School. It has seven classrooms, a multi-purpose room, library and office. (now houses the Maple Valley Alternative Ed school)
in Vermontville comprises thirteen general classrooms, two special education rooms, kitchen, multi-purpose are, library and
office area. One section of the building was constructed in 1952, the addition in 1964. (additional rooms have been added
since this writing).
The Junior-Senior High School which is accredited with the University of Michigan
includes attractive functional classrooms, special education room, four fully equipped science labs, two homemaking rooms,
a flexible arts and crafts area, foreign language and math labs, 9,100 book library, two commercial rooms, a vocational shop
area including metal, wood shops and drafting rooms, a 426 seat auditorium, combination instrumental-vocal room, and a spacious
gymnasium seating 1,550 spectators. The cafeteria and study hall serve many activities. Administration area contains superintendent
and principal's offices, two general secretarial areas, health room, vault and guidance offices. (a new administration
office and additional rooms have been added since this writing).
Board of education meetings are held in the
Superintendent's Office the second Monday of each month 8:00 p.m. (1969) Superintendent Carroll Wolff, Principal Leon
Housler, Elementary Principal Howard Yost, Board of Education: President, Reinhart Zemke; Secretary, Wallace Graham; Treasurer,
Charles Viele; John Viele; Dr. Thomas Myers; Harold Hansen; Chris King.
Written by Zadah Keyes in 1912
Oh! We are loyal students of the N.H.S.
We’re proud of this, you just bet yes;
And if you will be patient we will try to show
Just why it is we’re bound to say
That we all love it so,
There’s many an act of courtesy
That’s passed around each day
Among the faithful faculty and students bright
So now you
see we still believe in chivalry of old,
And will not let it wither up, grow stagnant dead or cold.
Oh, our colors are the yellow and the blue,
We think them fine, and honest now, don’t you,
We like to see them floating out on high
As we are passing by, are passing by –
So come and join us in our songs of praise
We now do raise and will in future days,
We know our love will never die for those two colors up in the sky
Which represent old Nashville High.