since 1892 - Old Water Tower - referred to locally as the "standpipe" was located atop the big hill in Putnam Park on North
Main Street. The tower was the storage tank for the village (from 1892
to 1975), first to house river water used for all purposes but for drinking. Then in the 1930's wells were put down, and
drinking water was pumped into the big tower which held 85,000 gallons, 1,000 gallons for each foot. Old timers recall it
was put up after a bad fire destroyed the first building which housed the Lentz Table Company. According to them, the officials
from the table company said they would rebuild, if the village would provide adequate water supply.
The old tower held another fascination for many of the old timers and some not so old. Every child in town has probably
been warned about not climbing up the standpipe, but many a lad, and not too few girls, have sneaked up there to scratch their
initials for only the brave in heart to see.
From time to time it needed repairing and repainting but it stood
for 83 years before being replaced by the current tower now located on Casgrove Road on the south-west side of town. But the
old water tower is still a good topic for reminiscing. (For many years just the top several feet of the tower stood on the
hill providing a shelter for adventurous children but was later removed by the council because it had become a hazard to the
children using the park)